1. How would you search for an exact word or phrase?
- To search for an exact word of phrase I would surround the word or phrase I am looking for with quotation marks.
- Example: “Digital Innovations”
2. How would you search for something on a specific site?
- To search for something on a specific site I would use the formula site:websiteURL followed by my search phrase.
- Example: site:beccamorty.wordpress.com “Digital Etiquette”
3. How would you correctly search for a definition?
- To search for a definition of a word I would use the formula define:word
- Example: define:digital
4. How would you search for a specific product available within a specific price range?
- To search for a product in a specific price range you type in the name of the product followed by your lowest price, two dots, and then your highest price. The results will appear on the right hand side of your page.
- Example: Apple iPad $200..$400
5. How would you search for a specific filetype?
- To search for a filetype you use the formula filetype:file followed by what it is you are searching for.
- Example: filetype:pdf Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
6. How would you include or ignore words in your search?
- If you want to include words in your search that google would normally ignore (for example, the word “the”), you would place quotation marks around the word.
- To ignore words in your search, you would use a “-“ symbol before the word you would like excluded.
- Example: I want to search for a chocolate cake recipe without eggs. I would search: chocolate cake recipe -eggs
7. How would you find related pages?
- To search for related pages I would use the formula related:websiteURL
- Example: related:www.twitter.com will show me websites that are similar to Twitter.
8. How would you find a topic, searching all available synonyms of a word?
- To search synonyms of a word you would type in the “~” symbol before the word you want to search the synonyms of.
- Example: Fun fruity ~drinks
9. How would you find the time in another country?
- To find out what time it is in another country you would simply type in time followed by the country.
- Example: time Spain
10. How would you find out how many Egyptian pounds you get for $20 Canadian dollars?
- To find out the exchange rate between Egyptian pounds to Canadian dollars you would type in: currency #1 in currency #2
- Example: Egyptian pounds in 20 Canadian dollars